Our areas of practice: governance, employment, intellectual property & copyright, resource & lands management.
Our services are honest, open and dedicated to your cause.
We are ready to help your Nation solve problems and manage conflicts that arise in day to day governance, ranging from employment and HR issues to consultation and exercising rights and title. Whether through professional or personal experience, our lawyers recognize the complex legal challenges that present for Indigenous governments.
Please contact us to discuss your needs. We are here to assist you, even if we have not specifically listed the service below.
Mack Law Corp is gratefully located on W̱JOȽEȽP (Tsartlip) First Nation land.
To assist with the implementation of strong effective governance, Mack Law Corp will work with each Nation to fully understand the complexities faced by that individual community. Mack Law Corp can provide advice on enacting or amending custom membership codes, custom election laws, governance policies, constitutions, and policies and procedures. There is no one size fits all, and Mack Law Corp will work with you to create the laws and policy that your Nation needs to effectively govern.
Intellectual Property & Copyright
Mack Law Corp provides legal advice and support to Indigenous artists, makers, writers, content creators, and First Nations or Indigenous organizations, relating to the use and protection of their work, or of contemporary and traditional cultural works. We advise on copyright protection and issues relating to copyright infringement – or by mitigating infringement circumstances, through development of licensing agreements, and contracts relating to use of works subject to copyright, intellectual property, Indigenous Knowledge, or Traditional Ecological Knowledge.
Resource & Lands Management
Mack Law Corp works with Nations to develop land laws and bylaws, including drafting and implementing Land Codes and making the most out of law-making power under the Indian Act.
Mack Law Corp will support your Nation with employment and human resource matters, including drafting employment policies and contracts, dismissal planning and employment workshops for management and staff.
Frequently Asked Questions
- There are currently no in-office meetings or gatherings, and client meetings are held by teleconference, video conference or email.
- All individuals in the office must maintain a distance of at least 2 m (6 ft) from each other wherever possible.
- All employees are encouraged to make lunch plans off-site or at their desks in order to discourage gathering in the kitchen area. Employees should also bring their own dishes and utensils, as well as refrain from sharing communal foods and kitchen appliances (ie. coffee maker).
- Communal doors will be left open during the workday to reduce contact with door handles.
- All deliveries will be contactless / drop at door.
- The firm will provide sanitizer, disposable masks and soap and water at no charge for use by employees.
- The firm has put up signage regarding wearing a face mask and encourages the use of masks in the workplace.
If you think you need a lawyer, please contact us to discuss your situation. Barring any real or potential conflicts of interest, we would be happy to chat with you to determine if we can be in assistance.
We would love to! In non-Covid times, we travel to our clients communities to meet with Council and members, attend events and be present. As soon as it is safe to travel, we would be honoured to come to your community. In the meantime, we have moved to online meetings, ranging from one-on-one to large community information sessions. Please contact us to discuss what best fits your needs at this time.
Workshops with Mack Law Group
Mack Law Corp will create and host workshops in your community to share valuable legal information with Councils, Administrators, staff or members. Please contact us to discuss your ideas.